Water Baptism is a way for believers to outwardly express what God has done in their hearts and lives in the presence of other believers. When you are baptized in water, you are identifying yourself with Jesus. Family and friends are encouraged to attend and celebrate this significant decision.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1. Who should be water baptized?
If you have just made a Fresh Start with God and accepted Jesus as Lord of your life, you should be baptized. If you were baptized as a child before you understood what you were doing, or if you just rededicated your life to the Lord, then you should consider being baptized again.
2. Why should we be water baptized?
We should be water baptized because Jesus was baptized and He is our example and because He commanded us to be baptized.
AT THAT TIME JESUS CAME FROM NAZARETH IN GALILEE AND WAS BAPTIZED BY JOHN IN THE JORDAN.
THEREFORE GO AND MAKE DISCIPLES OF ALL NATIONS, BAPTIZING THEM IN THE NAME OF THE FATHER AND OF THE SON AND OF THE HOLY SPIRIT.
Water baptism was the first thing believers did in the early church after they believed in and confessed Jesus as Lord of their life.
THEN PHILIP BEGAN WITH THAT VERY PASSAGE OF SCRIPTURE AND TOLD HIM THE GOOD NEWS ABOUT JESUS. AS THEY TRAVELED ALONG THE ROAD, THEY CAME TO SOME WATER AND THE EUNUCH SAID, “LOOK, HERE IS WATER. WHY SHOULDN’T I BE BAPTIZED?” AND HE GAVE ORDERS TO STOP THE CHARIOT. THEN BOTH PHILIP AND THE EUNUCH WENT DOWN INTO THE WATER AND PHILIP BAPTIZED HIM.
3. What does Water Baptism represent?
It’s an act of obedience and an outward symbol that represents what Jesus has done in us and for us. It doesn’t bring us into a relationship with Christ, only faith does that.
FOR WHEN YOU WERE BAPTIZED, YOU WERE BURIED WITH CHRIST, AND IN BAPTISM YOU WERE ALSO RAISED WITH CHRIST.
WATER BAPTISM REPRESENTS 3 THINGS:
- Death - Specifically Jesus’ death. Christ died on the cross for you. Revelation 1:5 says His blood washes away our sins. Romans 6 says that we died to sin and no longer live in it. Our old nature was crucified with Him. The water is a symbol of washing away the old person.
- Burial - Going under the water represents His burial. Christ was buried and was in the tomb for 3 days. Our old nature and sin habits are buried with Him.
- Resurrection - When you come out of the water. We are raised with Him and now live a new life in Christ.
4. Why do we have to go under water?
We go under water because Jesus did. The word baptism is Baptizo in Greek which means to immerse or submerge.
AS SOON AS JESUS WAS BAPTIZED, HE WENT UP OUT OF THE WATER.
5. Who is eligible for water baptism?
As Phillip says in Acts 8:37, the only requirement for water baptism is faith in Jesus Christ. Believing that He is the son of God and through his death, burial and resurrection, anyone can receive eternal life. Without such faith, water baptism just becomes a meaningless ritual.
6. Does water baptism literally wash away my sin?
Only the blood of Jesus washes away our sin.
IN HIM WE HAVE REDEMPTION THROUGH HIS BLOOD, THE FORGIVENESS OF SINS, IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE RICHES OF GOD’S GRACE.
7. I was water baptized as a baby, isn’t that good enough?
It could be considered a gesture of dedication but faith and repentance are both necessary ingredients as indicated in Acts 8:37.
8. Is water baptism optional?
No, Jesus both commanded and modeled water baptism in the Bible.
Content from The Life Church Memphis